1.17.2010

Blankie

Avery has had a blankie since she was a baby. This thing was her comfort-she carried it everywhere and could never sleep without it. She sucks her thumb, but only when she has her blankie. She puts it in her hand and puts it up to her face so it touches her skin and then sucks her thumb.
We went for a walk one morning and when we got home, we parked the stroller out front. She jumped out and left her blankie in the stroller. I came out after lunch to grab it and it was gone. Just gone.
It was so traumatic for her, and after 3 days of craziness, I broke down and took her to the store to find another one. Looking back, I should have just left it alone and let her get through it, but she was so sad and I just couldnt help myself.

Caleb came along for the ride



Soooo many balnkies to chose from



Avery had to touch each blankie and touch them to her face. She found this cute little bear blankie thing, but still not the one.



She finally found one!! A pink one. Her old one was green. This blankie is the same blankie but with a different pattern. And a ring pop for fun!!


And this little guy, who just loves his sister so much was such a sweet little helper



The funny thing is Avery stopped sucking her thumb when she lost her blankie. Once she got a new one, she still took it with her everywhere and had to sleep with it, but she didnt suck her thumb anymore. I was so excited, I thought I got off easy.
WRONG.
About a month later, she just popped that thumb in her mouth, out of the blue. I guess she just needed to feel really comfortable with her blankie before taking it up to the next level =)




1 comment:

Johnson Family said...

I loved getting caught up with your family life!!! Your kids are amazingly adorable!!! Thanks for always being my inspiration through this whole cancer thing!!
Love ya,
Christa