8.26.2009

1 to go

I suddenly felt the potty training pressure once I learned that my nephew, who is only a couple months older than Avery, was fully potty trained. WHAT? Where the heck has the time gone? Is Avery really old enough for this? I guess she is and I knew it was about that time. So, the day school started, I used my new found freedoom with only 2 kids and headed to "the Walmarts" We found the cute pink potty chair and some new undies and we were ready to go.
I guess I was just thinking to myself that I had this made. I had already done it with 4 other kids-im a pro. Right? SOOO wrong! Avery wanted nothing to do with it. She thought the potty was cute and wanted to play with it and that was it. It took her a good 2 days of accidents to realize what going potty really meant. Finally on day 3, she had her first pee in the potty chair.

Hip Hip Hooray!!
Her hapyy little smile says it all. I realize that its kinda gross to put pictures of pee, but you cant really see it anyway. We did pretty good for a few days and really only dealt with pooping accidents. Then one morning she woke up and would not put her undies on. She was done. I was not gonna push it, so I let her go back to diapers for a few days. A few days turned into a week and a half so I decided that I was not going to let this go by. Gosh darnit, I am going to potty train this girl. So, we started again. Every morning I have to force those undies on her, but once they are on, she does great(except for the poop). We have gone 4 days with no accidents. Bill even took her out last night with no diaper and she told him she had to go potty and all was good. This brings me to today.
We decided to take a trip to tjmaxx. We had been there a good 2 minutes and she says she has to go potty. So we rush to the bathroom. Nothing. Seriously 1 minute later, she says "its coming, its coming". Back to the bathroom. She goes!! So I think we are good for the next 20 min or so. About 5 minutes later, I smell that lovely smell. You have GOT to be kidding me. I lift her dress up and I can see a nice big suprise poking out of those cute little undies. As I pick her up, I notice that her shoes are off and her feet are wet. This cannot be good. Sure enough, there is a lovely puddle with feet prints walking away from it. I dont see any worker to tell, so I just figured I would find someone when I was done cleaning her up. I get to the bathroom and reach in my purse for a diaper. None. Oh crap(no pun intended). So I head out, leaving Avery and Caleb in the bathroom, to find some undies. Luckily there was a nice cleanrance rack close by with the perfect ones. I grab a pair and run back in the bathroom to clean her up. When I go to put the underwear on, I realize that they are way to big. I look at the tag and they say 6, but on the package they were 4. Great, now I have to buy these underwear that are way too big-oh well at least they are only $3. So we head back out. She started running for the toys and the underwear fell off around her ankles, so I rolled them at the top to keep them up-nice touch. I figured that would work until we got home. When we got to the toys, I saw that the mess had already been cleaned up. Phew-awkward conversation about my childs pee on the floor avoided!
About 5 minutes later she has to go potty AGAIN! Its crazy, but she goes...alot. Then about 10 minutes later, again. We did this 2 more times and she went all times. She hadnt even been drinking, where is this liquid coming from? After I had tried a few things on, she said she had to go again. There is no way! But, I hurried and put my clothes back on and away we went. After this time, I was done. It was time to go home. When we got to the bathroom she had already peed all down her legs and onto her now soaking wet flip flops. So I ran back out to the cart and grabbed another pair of the huge underwear. These ones werent big-they were size 4. I looked in the package and realized that the big ones must have just been stuffed in there as an added bonus for such occassions. So back into the bathroom I went to scrub her legs and wash her shoes off. I put the new undies on, wrapped her flip flops in paper towels, and threw the huge, wet undies in the trash (dont judge me). I was done. This short little trip was supposed to take me like and hour, instead it was 2. Luckily, she made it home, but had to pee right when we got home. Her potty chair was on top of my bathroom counter, for some reason, and she couldnt get to it. She peed in the new undies and all over the floor.
Its been a great day!! And wouldnt you know, she has been accident free the rest of the day. ( this all happend in the morning)

Why am I doing this again?? Ahh, yes, all in the name of saving a few bucks a month on diapers. Am I really that cheap and lazy?

Yes. I really think I am.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

You're not cheap or lazy! What a crazy day! Diapers cost a fortune! I would have done everything exactly the same way!

The Malone's said...

That being said, I am waiting until Finn is 5 to potty train, if he wants to do it, he can take all the mess that comes with it.

Full House said...

Oh that is AWESOME! Don't judge me if I hire somebody else to potty train my boys:-) I would have thrown the underwear away & no big deal to be cheap.

I can't believe that I spaced our Wed. date. Can I have another one? I think I spaced it because I haven't had that girl come over and help me the last 2 weeks. I really apologize.