8.22.2009

Calebs First Day of Preschool



Its funny going back and finding these pictures on the camera. Caleb has a pretty bad speech problem and was lucky enough to get into the preschool speech program. In Utah, he was in a speech preschool that was only 2 days a week for 1 hour and I was with him the whole time. He had some pretty severe seperation issues and we knew this was going to be hard. He had to ride the bus and go everyday for 2 1/2 hours-but I also knew it would be totally worth it. He needed this. I had already talked to the teacher and told her my concerns and then she told me what to do on the first day. I was ready.

Avery got to come with us on the first day. The plan was to take him on the first day and then try the bus the next day. One step at a time.



He looked so big with his backpack . I usually dont have a hard time with my kids going off to school, but Caleb has always been my little buddy and I was sad to see him go.

I walked him down the hall and to his classroom. He lined up outside with the other kids and then his teacher walked them all in. I stayed in the hall, and when Caleb noticed he flipped out. He started freaking out and pure panic set in. His cry is like a really, really loud siren and I could hear it all the way down the hall. The teacher told me to just wave and say goodbye and she would do the rest. She was awesome!


That is seriously all it took. Just that one day of panic. He realized that school is fun and I was always going to come back and get him. I think he had one more day of a few episodes here and there, but it was amazing what that school did for him.


The second day was bus day. This is the one that I was DREADING. I had been hyping up the bus for like a week and kept telling him how cool it was to ride and none of the other kids got to ride the bus and it was so fun. But I knew that it was going to be harder for the bus driver to keep control of him and I was soooo nervous. I just knew that he was going to fall on the floor and I would have to drag him up the steps.



Seriously, not even a moment of hesitation. He gave me a kiss and a hug and walked right up those steps and sat in his seat. I had tears in my eyes. I had never before seen him do something like that without a fit. I was the proudest mom that day.
This school has been a lifesaver. He has almost completly come out of that shell. He was only in it for 2 months so not a whole lot of time to fix the speech, but I know that will come this school year.
We are now into our second week of preschool and he gets to go to the same school as all the other kids. He still rides the bus and LOVES it. His cousin Tyler is going to start there next week and he cant wait. This school is the BEST!!!




No comments: