1.15.2009

Today I received news that I have stage 3 Breast Cancer. To say this was a shock is kind of an understatement. I think I am still in somewhat of a shock so if this is all over the place that is why. I really just felt that I needed to write down my feelings and all that so I can look back on this when its all over and laugh at how scared I was.
About a year ago, I felt a hard lump in my left breast. I had just finished nursing Avery, so I just figured it was a clogged duct or something. A few months later I felt the same thing in my right breast, so I knew it was just from nursing. A few months after that, the one in my right breast disappeared so I really didnt think much of it. The one in my left breast stayed and kept getting bigger and harder. About a month ago, I noticed it was quite big..like a golf ball-maybe bigger and it felt like it had little bumps all over it. I dont have health insurance, so I kinda put it off (which by the way is so stupid and no one should EVER do) While we were in Arizona for Christmas, one of my long time friends mom died of Breast Cancer. After hearing a little about her story and what she went through, I just kept thinking about it and getting more worried. So I told Bill that I was worried about it and I went into the Doctor the next day. They sent me to do a mamogram and an ultra sound the following week. Waiting for that appointment was torture. I just wanted to know what it was. I think Bill was taking it harder than me. So finally Tuesday came and I went in not really knowing what to expect. This place wasnt for young people like me. Breast Cancer does not even run anywhere in my family. I think I was the youngest one in that room by like 30 years. Although I do have saggy boobs, so we had that in common. (Yikes-thank you 5 breastfed kids!!) The poor lady that gave me the mammogram was like 2 feet smaller than me and had to use both hands just to get me situated. For any one who has had one of those-holy crap-it was uncomfortable. They flatten you just like a pancake. I could see the screen from where I was standing and I could noticably see something on the screen. She took quite a bit more pictures of the left breast in all different angles. I started to think that something was up, but I was still hoping that it was a cyst or something and that I was worring for nothing. They sent me back to the waiting room to wait for the ultra sound. Bill and I were texting eachother the whole time and the poor guy was going to have a heart attack. They wouldnt let him back because there were so many woman and boobs. I really hated having to do it myself, but I felt that Bill was there because he was telling me not to worry and that it was going to be ok. He kept my mind off of things by giving me Office trivia-what a guy!! During the Ultrasound, the tech was going over spots and stopping and taking pictures and measuring just like a baby ultrasound. She left and got the Doctor and he came in, sat down and made himself comfortable-using my right breast as a nice arm rest while he did the ultrasound on my left one. I never did ask what they were, I think I knew it wasnt good. He asked if he could do a biopsy right there. I asked him if Bill could come back and he agreed. Bill is nice to have around because he asks all the questions that I dont think of. I really just needed his support. So he came in and immediatly asked the Doctor what it was. The Doctor told him that I had several tumors, one of them in my lymphnode. Bill was blunt and asked if it was bad and the doctor was just as blunt and said "its not good."
Waiting is the hardest part. Trying to be positive but still wondering. If I didnt have such a strong support system here, I think I would have gone crazy. My mother in law had made plans a while back to come visit during January-she is crazy and she likes the snow and the cold. It just happend that she was coming on the same day as my appointment. She and my sister in law Andrea watched our kids. I was so glad to have her here for this waiting period. She is so calming and it was really good for Bill to have his mom here. I wish I had my mom here too. I think it was worse for my parents not being able to be here-just waiting for news. We were able to stay busy for the 2 days of waiting by going to lunch, I got my hair done, we had family dinner and just hung out. Today we all fasted and tried to stay busy but I had my phone in my hand the whole day just waiting for it to ring, but not really wanting in to. I finally had had enough and called. The nurse said she had the results back but she was waiting for the radioligist to read them and then they would give me a call. I ran to the grocceri store with my sis in law and Mom in law to get some things for dinner-I thought I had about an hour. I was in the hair gel isle when my phone rang. The nurse asked if I would talk to the doctor. When he got on the phone he told me that he was sorry to have to tell me that it was in fact cancer. I really didnt think they were going to tell me over the phone. And to be honest, I really wasnt expecting it to be cancer. Not at all. I had been fasting all day and I literally almost fainted. He kept talking but I really didnt hear much after that. I just wanted to find the others and get out of there. Bill kept calling me, but I couldnt answer. I didnt want to tell him over the phone. Just as we pulled in, the bus was dropping the kids off, so Andrea took them back to her house so Bill and I could talk. Bill called the doctor back to ask some questions since I had no idea what he had said, and I called my parents. My dad has a way of calming me with his words of wisdom and I was so thankful for the things he told me because I really needed to be calmed. The radiologist said that it doesnt look like it has spread anywhere past the lymphnode, but until they do an MRI they wont know. So we praying that it hasnt spread. I have an appointment tomorrow with the surgeon to see what our next step is. Bill has been a rock to me during this time. Bill has some health anxiety and I was really worried what this might do to him, but he has been so great to me and has picked me up when I felt like crawling in bed and pulling the covers over my head. I love you babe!!
I just wanted to tell everyone how grateful I am-we are- for everyones overwhelming support. My parents have told me how many people have called them and given their support and how many people fasted today in our behalf. People I dont even know, but know my parents and love them. It has been such an amazing experience. I have felt comfort and love and I know its because of all the prayers. Its the scariest time of my life, but its also the most amazing. I have never in my life experienced anything like it-and for that, I am truely grateful. Its all so overwhelming. We told the kids and they are taking it pretty good. Im not sure that they really understand, but it makes me feel better to know that they arent worried. My mom is going to come up next week and stay for a while to help out with the kids during the surgery (and we all know that sometimes you just need your mommy), my sister is coming, as well as my brother and his wife. Just a few hours ago, Bills whole family called and said they are packing up the cars and coming tomorrow. Just like that. And anyone who knows the Lomus knows that they are not spur of the moment kind of people. I feel so loved and so blessed to have family that is willing to drop everything to come and give me the support that I need right now. How could anyone with this much love not have a positive attitude?? I really feel comfort from my Father in Heaven and I know that I will be alright. He is blessing me and my family more than we deserve.
I know that this is a novel, but im glad I was able to write it all down so I will remember how I felt. I still have a life and kids and lots of happy things to keep me grounded, so dont expect any doom and gloom here. I have a weird sense of humor.
Thanks again and Love to you all!!!

23 comments:

The Fischbeck's said...

Shelly

Our love and prayers are with you at this time. Amy had sent us book club girls a brief e-mail explaining what was going on and we will be fasting for you this Sunday. I am already inspired by your strength, your calmness, and your 'weird' sense of humor. :)
Hang in their sister!

Julie

Mike and Deb said...

I love your sense of humor. That is just the strength that will help you call yourself a cancer survivor before you know it. Lean on the love of everyone and that will lift you in the rough days - you will have them and it will be ok to admit it when it happens. Then you have good days and you hold onto those.

We can't wait to see you next week and you all are OF COURSE in our prayers everyday. Have fun at the cabin this weekend.

Thanks for putting your thoughts down on here, it helps all of us who are so far away and wishing we could be there now.

Joni said...

My thoughts and prayers are with you too!!~ Love ya!

Christi said...

Oh Shelly, I am so sorry you have to deal with this. We are too young for this! I also am inspired by your strength. Our thoughts and prayers are with you and your family. Love ya!

Julie said...

Shelly, yes, THANK YOU for writing all of this down for those of us who love you so much and are praying for you! You know we would all be on a plane and there with you! (If all of Mesa wasn't already coming! Ü) You are amazing and have the best attitude! We'll be fasting on Sunday for you! I love you!!!

The Heiner's said...

Shelly,
I am so sorry to hear. We haven't talked in a long time. But I want you to know I am thinking of you at this time. You were never anything but nice to me. You are so sweet. I want you to know you're in my prayers. Thanx so much for posting those brave and heartfelt words. You're in my thoughts.
Andi (Jacks) Heiner

Rachel Cunningham said...

Holy Cow Shelly! I couldn't believe it when I heard. I'm so glad to read your words and know you are ok. I am praying all day for you and I'm going to call you soon to find out more details. Hang in there! I love you!

A. Goodie said...

thank you for keeping me updated yesterday! I've been worried sick! I was so glad to read your words... you are a rock and such an amazing person! Well I had plans to bring a couple of book club girls and surprise you this weekend, but it sounds like the rest of your family had the same idea! You are so loved! We'll make it up there to see you sometime! Just let me know when! We're having a "book club" fast on Sunday! I love you!!!

The Jones Six said...

Shelly, You are a much stronger person than I. We are praying and fasting for you here in Kansas.

Amanda&Wade said...

Shelly! I just wanted you to know that I have kept you in my thoguhts and prayers... oh and thanks for making me cry! :) I LOVE that your whole family is on their way! Amazing... You are lucky to have that. You are so strong, I have no doubts that you are going to make it through this!! Keep us updated!

Cassie and Chad said...

Shelly I just got a phone call from my sister who talked to your brother and she told me the news. I am so sorry for what you and your family are going through! My dad is fighting cancer right now and I go to all of his appointments, this is not a fun battle but one you can fight! You are in my thoughts. Your words are touching as well as inspirational. Wow and what family support you have! Please know that I am just a phone call away and can be of help to you at anytime. Keep your spirits high!

Kylie said...

Shelly--you are amazing!! you have such strength and faith! I am SO glad that you have so much support right now!! We love you to death and will be thinking/praying/fasting for you like crazy!!

Full House said...

Wow this has all of a sudden made me feel very emotional. I never expected to see this today!! Life is just weird sometimes one minute nothing and then the next bam. The thing is none of us are exempt.

Pls. keep us posted as we will be thinking, fasting and praying for you. Lot's of people are rooting for you. I am so happy that you and Bill will have your family around.


Love ya!

Ryan and Holly Gibb said...

I saw your mom last night at the temple and she told me the news. I'm so sorry Shelly. You are way too young for this. You sound so positive, though, and that's what will get you and your family through this. Thanks for the update. Keep them coming! Our thoughts and prayers are with you.

The Jones Six said...

I am so sorry that you are going through this right now. Everything you just said was amazing. We love you too and will pray and fast for you and Bill. Love, Stephen and Lindsay

Nancy said...

Shelly- I found out last night and can't stop thinking about you. You are so amazing to me and the attitiude you have in your everyday life. I learn so much from you by reading your blogs and I truly enjoy the fact that we both have 5 kids and can sympothize when something crazy happens. You are a great mother and have a great attitude which means that you have already conquered those challenges. Let me know if there is anything I can do for you. If you are ever here and need me to watch all 5 of the kids I would love to . They can just join my craziness.

Mrs. Demon said...

Shelly:
I was completely shocked when Brooke told me your situation yesterday. I have been watching your blog to hear your thoughts. I appreciate your candidness and very much enjoyed you "story". You are a lucky lady to be surrounded with such supportive and loving family and friends. Please keep me in mind for any needed child coverage during appointments. Bryce would love to have Noah come "hang". I have always admired your down-to-earth realism. I find it very refreshing and think it will serve you well during this trial. God bless you and your adorable family.

Love: Natalie Collins

Abby Runyan said...

I am so sorry Shelly. I can't believe you have to go through this. What a amazing family you have to support you right now. Thank you for sharing your feelings with us. You are such an example to me. Hang in there. We are praying for you and your cute family.

Tim said...

Tim is getting through the last parts of his radiation and chemo for brain cancer so YOU WILL BEAT THIS TOO!!! I have to say to myself a million times a day "this to shall pass" so keep the faith and rely on everyone else's as they...and we pray for you!!!

Clint said...

Please let Charisse and I know if there is anything we can do to help. You are in our thoughts and prayers.

Lana and Terry said...

Like everyone says, You are way too young to have to go through this trial. But your attitude and all the love and support you are getting from family and friends will definitely get you through this. We have always loved your family, and I have read you blog occassionally just to keep updated on you and Bill's life. You have adorable children and a great sense of humor. Please know that our thoughts and prayers are with you!!

Gunnell Family said...

Hey Shelley, I am so sorry for this trial you are going through. Just want you to know you are in my thoughts and prayers. You are such a strong person! Hang in there and take support from those around you.
Your kiddos are so cute! Love ya cuz!
Rachel

Jenny said...

Oh Shelley! I can't stop crying! I keep saying in my head- NO!!! From the survivors that I've ever talked to, they always say they got through it by thinking positively. You can do this! You're going to beat it!!! We will be praying for you and Bill. Steve and I love you guys! Call me soon if you can. :)