1.26.2009

Our ship has landed!

We are finally here!! It has been the craziest week of my life. Bill decided he really wanted to be with me on my first appointment with the new oncologist, so we started packing the house Thursday night and had the truck loaded on Saturday afternoon. We cleaned up and tried to cram in the last random items and hit the road Sunday morning. It was so fast and so crazy and we couldnt have done it without all the help we received. My mom and my mother in law were both there and my two brother in laws and their wives and all the guys from the ward that sacraficed their Saturday to load the truck-it was amazing that it all worked out. The relief society had meals brought in all week. We had so much food-I think we all gained like 10 pounds! I am so amazed at the help and the love and support from everyone in our ward. Im sorry to anyone who emailed or text me or called me-I seriously didnt have 2 seconds to put together-not even a picture. Once we get all moved in and settled, I promise I will respond! It is so great to be home, but we sure do miss our Utah family- alot!!

So today was the first appointment with the oncologist. It didnt start out to great considering we sat in the waiting room for like 45 minutes only to find out that the stupid Utah doctors office didnt send over my records and they had been trying to get them all day. I even went there before I left and signed all the paperwork and told them what day and time my appointment was and to make sure they were there. I was so mad. Bill called and ripped them to peices and wouldnt you know it, by the end of our appointment they came. But I will just say that I LOVE this doctor. He is so thorough and knowlegable and kind and funny-all the things you would want in a doctor when going through something like this. He asked me a bunch of questions and did an exam-a very thorough exam I must say. He was able to glance at the records that did come through just enough to know that he wants to do a few more tests. It was after 5, so tomorrow he will call and make an appointment for me to do a PET scan-this is a full body scan, its a bit more in depth than a bone scan. And in the morning I will go do some more blood work. I still havent heard about the bone scan or the genetic test-hopefully we will know more the next time we meet with the doctor-which will be the day after the PET scan. He said that I will start Chemo first and then do surgery-so I will start that probably next week. Its scary to even think about it so im just going to take it one day at a time-I will worry about things as they come.

Im trying to decide if I want to do a separate blog for me and keep this one for the fun stuff that we still go through as a family. I dont have my computer so im not quite sure how to upload pictures to this computer and not make them permanant. So many things I want to do, so little time. Hopefully things will slow down a bit and I will have some time for all the things I enjoy. Wishful thinking, right? The kids start school tomorrow and they are excited and nervous. Tyson gets to go to all day kindergarten-he is beyond excited. Im a little sad to not have my ty-bo at home in the morning, but I know this will be so good for him. This school starts at 7:53-a bit earlier than our previous 9:15. Im not so good with the mornings. Looks like I better start getting to bed a little earlier!! Goodnight!


11 comments:

Full House said...

Wow this really is happening so fast. I bet your head is spinning.

Sometimes it's easier said than done to take things day by day or hour by hour. I bet you are so overwhelmed. I wish I could take some of it off of your plate. Call me for anything.

That's great that you like the doctor. Chemo next week huh? Glad so many people have been able to help you.

XX - Christina

BrianLauraandboys said...

Shelly, Those kids of yours are so dang cute! I am so glad that you got your way and got to come home. Every time you came home, you never wanted to go back. Yikes, good luck with the early school! I can bearly get my boys out the door by 8am.(and we don't have to do hair)It was good to talk to you today. You are amazing. I know you have tons of help all over town, but put me on the list too. Love ya, Laura

Abby Runyan said...

I'm so glad your home, and with your mom. Just wanted to let you know I think about you all the time and I'm still praying like crazy for you and your family. Hang in there.

Mike and Deb said...

We are so glad to have you guys home. It was fun speding time with the kids and decorating the room with them. Use us lots, we love the whole bunch!!

Cassie and Chad said...

It looks like you are in good hands. A good doctor and great family support. Those pet scans are great. You will get to see all throughout your body on a computer. It will show you if there is any cancer any where else. They are very thorough and quite fascinating. Good luck with all of your testing, I hope you get some great results. Glad you are home safe and sound.

Becky said...

Shelly we will keep you and your family in our prayers as you go through this scary time. I am glad that you like and trust your new Dr. that will help you tremendously. Keep you head up!

Burnside Family said...

I found your blog through Anna McFarlane. I am glad to know that you made it safely and like your doctor. You will be missed here but we know that you are where you need to be. Take care, you are in our prayers

Kylie said...

I am so glad you are home! What a whirlwind you've gone through!! You are one tough mama!!! I am glad you found an awesome doctor--that is a big relief I am sure. Let me know if I can help with anything--watch your kids--whatever. Seriously!!!

A. Goodie said...

So glad to have you back, wow what a crazy, hectic schedule! Good luck with all your appts. and call if you need any babysitting help! If you want to try to plan it in your schedule we have book club next thursday! I'm so glad that you are documenting all your thoughts and feelings! What a great thing to have and hopefullly a bit therapeutic! Love you!

Rachel Cunningham said...

You have to come to book club next week! I can pick you up. Girl time is a must. I'm so glad you are home and that you found an awesome doctor. Way to go Bill for making things happen!!

Kim Allgood said...

Hey Shelley,

I too found your blog through Anna Macfarlane. Thank you Anna!

Okay, I LOVED your short haircut. Even if it is all gone now- I thought it looked fantastic. You are in our prayers!

Love,
Kim