1.27.2008

President Gordon B. Hinckley, who led The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints through twelve years of global expansion, has died at the age of 97. President Hinckley was the 15th president in the 177-year history of the Church and had served as its president since 12 March 1995.
The Church president died at his apartment in downtown Salt Lake City at 7:00 p.m. Sunday night from cause’s incident to age. Members of his family were at his bedside. A successor is not expected to be formally chosen by the Church’s Quorum of the Twelve Apostles until after President Hinckley’s funeral within the next few days.
What a bittersweet day this is. I say bittersweet because he is now with his beloved wife and I can just imagine how sweet a reunion that must have been!! President Hinkley was the first Prophet that I really got to know and love. I hold so much admiration for him. What a legacy this man has made. He has done so much for this church in his long lifetime. I will miss his whit and his humor at conference time and I will definatley miss his words of wisdom and his council. Of course here in Utah it is the major news story. I have loved hearing the great stories about him and about everything he has accomplished in his presidency. He is so admired by everyone he has come in contact with-even by those who dont belong to this church. I will miss him more than I can stand but I look forward to getting to know our new prophet and his counclers.


1 comment:

The Jones Six said...

Shelly why are you so bitter agains the great state of Zion, I mean Utah. It is so white here and clean. Hey guys. I just took the lsat and am hoping that will take us from this place. LaterJoneses